At the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit on 25 September 2015, world leaders adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change by 2030.
Leading on from the Millennium Development Goals (http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/) and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/development-agenda/) the following 17 SDGs were drawn up under leadership of the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
Within these 17 goals there are 169 targets (summarised below). A time frame has been set to achieve these goals by 2030.
- Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg1
- Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg2
- Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg3
- Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg4
- Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg5
- Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg6
- Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg7
- Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg8
- Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg9
- Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg10
- Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg11
- Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg12
- Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg13
- Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg14
- Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg15
- Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg16
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg17